Orton-Gillingham is effective for adults with or without dyslexia who need to improve their reading and/or spelling skills. If you are not sure whether you have dyslexia, we can provide informal assessments and guidance on how to obtain formal testing. Adults are instructed by trained professionals using Orton-Gillingham programs written specifically for adults, including the Barton Reading and Spelling System developed by Susan Barton, as well as methods developed by Ervin Carpenter at the Wisconsin Institute For Learning.
If you want to do well at your profession, mastery of professional writing techniques is essential. From the emails you send to your co-workers to presentations and documents prepared for the whole office, it is important to present yourself using correct spelling and grammar.
We will begin by assessing your goals and current knowledge of spelling, grammar, and writing mechanics. Learning to write effectively can help you organize your thoughts more clearly, communicate better, and advance your career. We will create an individualized lesson plan based on your specific needs and goals.
Lessons may include the following:
- Learning specific grammar rules and reinforcing them with worksheets
- Learning English spelling rules with multisensory practice
- Revising and editing writing you bring in from work
- Learning how to write an effective resume and cover letter
- Learning how to write and give an effective presentation
We offer other services for adults with learning or attention difficulties on a case-by-case basis. In the past, these have included:
- Creative or Expository Writing Instruction
- Handwriting (cursive or print) Instruction
- English Language Instruction for Non-English Speakers
- College-level Coursework Support
- Fundamentals of Mathematics
- Standardized Test Preparation
- Preparation for the GED or High-School Equivalency Exam
If you need a specific area of instruction not listed here, please contact us for more information. We have many skills and talents and may be able to accomodate your unique needs!